What to do this July to celebrate Paris, when I can’t actually be in the city of light? Read about it and torture myself, I suppose.
Books on Shelf
- Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky
- Paris Was Ours edited by Penelope Rowlands (A reread)
- Mastering the Art of French Eating by Ann Mah
Movies to View
- Any Jean-Luc Godard film
- Midnight in Paris
- Paris Je t’aime
- A Cat in Paris
- An American in Paris
- Madeleines (a tried and truly yummy cookie!)
- Coq au Vin (my friend made this once and it was amazing…I’ll see if I can recreate it following a Julia Child recipe)
- Macarons (I bought the cookbook ages ago, and have yet to do anything with it…)
- Lunch at Left Bank for Bastille Day
- Barefoot in Paris – Ina Garten recipes!
- The Little Paris Kitchen Cookbook- Rachel Khoo
- French bread. I made some before, and I’ll be trying to make some again. Its yummy. I could live off of bread, no seriously, I could really live off of bread. Send me to a deserted island with a fully loaded ebook and a bread factory and I will be as happy as a clam.
Music for the month
- Carla Bruni
- Coralie Clement
- The entire French/Paris selection of the Putomayo albums (I love these collections!)
- Enjoy lunch or coffee at the Farmer’s Market listening to the live French trio perform, pretending I am have on the Rue Cler, shopping the fromageries and boulangeries to my heart’s content.
- Pick up a book on Renoir or the Impressionists (my favorite art style and period)
- Go to a museum exhibit on the above (if there are any around…seems unlikely. All the good stuff is at the Musee de Orsay anyway)
- Learn a French word a day, or just practice using my elementary French everyday avec mon mari et ma bebe.
What will you be doing this July?