Or 2012 – the year I actually read the books collecting dust on my bookshelf.
I found this challenge by Bookish Ardour titled Off the Shelf. The main premise is to read books purchased before 2012. Sounds easy enough. My good friend at HardlyWritten did that last year and finished all the pre-2011 books on his bookshelf. I attempted something similar in 2011, but most went unread and I ended up donating a good chunk of my TBR pile to the library because I decided that I would just never sit down and read those books. Some books you buy to read, some books you buy because you feel like you should own them. I did read almost all the books I bought in 2011 though, does that count???
Here is the info for the Off the Shelf Challenge. I’m not aiming for any particular level, although I certainly hope that I get farther than Tempted. I hope other will join this challenge with me.
- The Main Rule: Do not include books acquired during 2012, it defeats the purpose, read those books from before 2012 started!
- Running Dates: 1st of January – 31st of December 2012
- When Can I Sign Up: All the way up to the last two weeks of December!
- Crossover Genres: Anything! The name of the game is to turn those unread books into read ones.
- Mr Linky: To use the Mr Linky you’ll need to click on the graphic then enter your link. These will be updated and posted into this page every couple of weeks or so.
- Further Details:Crossover challenges are fine, you can change levels at any time, this is eBook, short story, and graphic novel friendly, and you don’t need a blog to join in (read further for details)
The How To
- Choose Your Level:These are listed further down and you can change levels at any time.
- Grab The Badge: Place it somewhere on your blog, profile, or in a signature where possible and link back (main page or this page, it’s up to you).
- Sign Up Post: Create a post on your blog, in a group, or on a forum (only if allowed) to let others see what you’re aiming for (a predefined list of books is optional).
- Link Up: Grab the direct URL to your sign up post, not your blog, click the Mr Linky graphic and enter your link!
- Blogless? Don’t worry, you can sign up with your social network profile (YouTube, Twitter, GoodReads, Shelfari included), just make sure you link to your review list, shelf, tweet, or category. If you don’t have any of those feel free to comment!
- Tempted– Choose 5 books to read
- Trying – Choose 15 books to read
- Making A Dint – Choose 30 books to read
- On A Roll – Choose 50 books to read
- Flying Off – Choose 75 books to read
- Hoarder – Choose between 76-135 books to read
- Buried – Choose between 136-200 books to read